1 relating to or showing a difference; "differential treatment"
2 involving or containing one or more derivatives; "differential equation"
1 the result of mathematical differentiation; the instantaneous change of one quantity relative to another; df(x)/dx [syn: derived function, derivative, differential coefficient, first derivative]
2 a quality that differentiates between similar things
3 a bevel gear that permits rotation of two shafts at different speeds; used on the rear axle of automobiles to allow wheels to rotate at different speeds on curves [syn: differential gear]
relating to a difference
- Swedish: differens-
having differences in speed
relating to differentiation or differential calculus
- Swedish: differential
difference between similar or comparable things
- In the context of "mechanics|lang=sv": a differential gear
- In the context of "math|lang=sv}} an infinitesimal change
Differential may refer to:
- Differential diagnosis refers to the characterization of the underlying cause of pathological states based on specific tests.
- Differential (calculus), multiple related meanings in calculus and differential geometry, such as an infinitesimal change in the value of a function
- Differential (coboundary), in homological algebra and algebraic topology, one of the maps of a cochain complex
- Differential (cryptography), in differential cryptanalysis, a pair consisting of the difference, usually computed by XOR (exclusive or), between two plaintexts, and the difference of the corresponding ciphertexts
Natural sciences and engineering
- Differential (mechanical device). As part of a powertrain, the device that allows each of the driving wheels to rotate at different speeds.
- Electronic Differential, an electric motor controller which substitutes its mechanical counterpart with significant advantages in electric vehicle application.
- In electronics, differential signaling applies to a method of transmitting electronic signals over a pair of wires to improve noise immunity.
The word differential is also used in many fields as an adjective to refer to differences, particularly those of a variable or continuous nature. Examples include differential hardening in metallurgy, differential rotation in astronomy, differential centrifugation in cell biology, differential scanning calorimetry in materials science, differential signalling in communications, differential algebra in mathematics, differential execution in computer science, and differential GPS technology.
differential in Bosnian: Diferencijal (čvor)
differential in Bulgarian: Диференциал (пояснение)
differential in Czech: Diferenciál
differential in German: Differential
differential in Dutch: Differentieel
differential in Russian: Дифференциал
differential in Slovak: Diferenciál
differential in Turkish: Diferansiyel (anlam ayrım)
Hydromatic, accurate, algorismic, algorithmic, aliquot, appreciative, aroma, attribute, automatic transmission, badge, brand, cachet, cardinal, cast, categorical, character, characteristic, characterizing, classificational, classificatory, cogwheel, configuration, contrastive, critical, cut, decimal, defining, delicacy, delicate, delicate distinction, denominative, diacritical, diagnostic, differencing, differentia, differential gear, differentiative, digital, discriminate, discriminating, discriminative, distinction, distinctive, distinctive feature, distinguishing, divisional, divisionary, earmark, even, exact, exponential, fastidious, feature, figural, figurate, figurative, figure, fine, fine point, finite, flavor, fractional, freewheel, gear, gear train, gearbox, gearing, gearshift, gearwheel, gust, hairline, hallmark, high, idiocrasy, idiosyncrasy, idiosyncratic, imaginary, impair, impossible, impress, impression, index, individualism, individualizing, individuating, infinite, integral, intermediate, irrational, keynote, lineaments, logarithmic, logometric, low, mannerism, margin, mark, marking, mold, narrow margin, nature, negative, neutral, nice, nice distinction, nicety, nuance, numeral, numerary, numerative, numeric, odd, odor, ordinal, overdrive, pair, particle of difference, particular, particularity, peculiar, peculiarity, personalizing, point of difference, positive, possible, precise, prejudiced, prime, property, quality, quirk, rack, radical, rational, real, reciprocal, refined, refinement, reverse, savor, seal, selective, sensitive, separative, shade of difference, shape, singularity, smack, special, specialty, specific, stamp, standard transmission, stick shift, subdivisional, submultiple, subtle, subtle distinction, subtlety, surd, synchromesh, tactful, taint, tang, taste, taxonomic, token, trait, transcendental, transmission, trick, typal, typical, wide margin